Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Baked this pineapple upside down cake quite some time ago (it's about a month ago if I'm not mistaken... yup! Been lazy and not updating my blog again...) as a Father's Day treat for David. Comment from him - yummy! hahaha... Was happy to see that he likes the cake. He eventually asked me to bake another one. But I wanted to try other fruits like peach, kiwi, or even dragon fruits! We will see how it goes... Stay tune... *wink*

As for myself, I like the cake too. The texture of the cake was very soft and I love the buttery and little bit of sour taste. I used the canned pineapple ring. Think it would be crunchier if I used the fresh pineapple. Will try to bake with fresh pineapple next time. I got the recipe from here. Their cherries were so "big" and could fill up the center of the pineapple ring. But those that I got here was so "tiny" and could not filled up the center of the pineapple! Got a comment from a friend saying that it looked like a "pimple"... (-_-)"... Anyway, what really matters is the taste right? hehehe....

I did some alterations on the recipe. So, here is my version of recipe. I used a 9" round baking spring form.

Ingredients:
butter (for greasing)
7 slices canned pineapple in juice (plus 3 tablespoons of the juice)
13 cherries
100 grams all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100 grams unsalted butter (room temperature)
50 grams brown sugar
2 large eggs

Methods:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease the 9"spring form with butter.
2. Arrange the pineapple slices as in the picture. Or you can arrange them in your way as long as it covers the whole bottom of the spring form. Then fill each pineapple ring with a cherry, and dot one in each of the spaces in between.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix them together in a bowl.
4. In the mixing bowl, cream the butter and caster sugar till pale and fluffy. Then add in the eggs, one at a time. Mix well.
5. Add the flour mixture into the mixing bowl. Mix until all the ingredients as well combined. Then add the 3 tbsp of the pineapple juice that you reserved earlier. This will thin down the batter a little bit. Give it a quick stir and then pour the batter over the cherry-studded pineapple rings. Spread the mixture evenly to cover the whole spring form or all the pineapples and cherries
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Run a spatula around the edge of the tin, place a plate on top and turn the spring form upside-down. Then you will have your pineapple upside down cake!

That's all for this post. Enjoy and have fun baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment